Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Afraid?

If there is someone who knows you more than anyone, that would be your mom. I have kids, and I know almost everything what is going on by just looking at their faces, hearing the tone of their voices, the expression in their eyes and their body language. I have 3 and 5 years old boys; they can communicate well and express themselves more openly now and that makes life easier. At home we always try to put them in bed at 8 o'clock every night. We read them their books, kiss them and say goodnight. Last night when I put Everett to bed, I noticed that there was uncertainty in his face, and he keep staring at me; I just ignored it. I kissed him and said "Night, night," and then started to leave, but before I reached the door, he called me "Mommy!" I looked back at him and asked, "Yes, what's wrong?" and I heard him say " Afraid." I was not sure if I heard him right so I finally lay down with him and asked him again, and he said this time, " I am afraid." I was a little surprised and asked "Why?" He didn't answer, but I could tell that he was feeling afraid. He has big, brown eyes, and they are very expressive. I  told him that Mommy is going to pray and that he has to say the prayer after me. "Now I lay me down to sleep..." then I prayed for peace and comfort for him "....in Jesus name, Amen." He was smiling when I opened my eyes to look at him.  Its amazing how prayer can do.  I gave him a kiss and a tight hug before leaving his room. I was still wondering why he felt that way last night. I realized that I am still learning much about my kids' behavior.

8 comments:

Janie said...

You're a great mom to try so hard to understand your kids feelings. That's so important to them.

Laureen said...

YOur such a good Mom

Dhemz said...

that was very sweet...we always teach our daughter to pray as well...sometimes she will say...scary mama...hehehe! glad she sleep very well now...i think the nightlight and music helps her to go to bead easier....:)

Dorothy L said...

This will be even more important when they become little adults. Your resolve will be challenged many times with what they tell you. It is very important to stay quiet and listen..If you must leave the room for a few minutes scream quietly into a pillow and return with a smile and let them continue :)

I have raised 4 and now I have a 10 year old granddaughter that is amazing with dialogue and her opinions...So I am back to the pillow again :)

The Yothers said...

I will remember your advice Dorothy. Thanks!

Pam said...

Your a wonderful Mom who loves her children and strives to understand them and comfort them along their journey to adulthood...

storyteller said...

Lovely reminder about the power of prayer and the importance of listening ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

litlit said...

wonderful, Mommy. Smiling alot while reading this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...