Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lessons in the Car!

Our car has been the place where we have had many wonderful family times, frequently with spiritual lessons.  This morning that was reinforced by my son's request.  He has been suffering for the last week from a bothersome stomach ache.  I had already left the house and was headed to the car after locking the door behind me when I heard the door open again.  "Dad!" a small voice called out.  "Can you pray for me on the car today on your way to work?"  I gave an answer in the affirmative and heard the door close again.  As I climbed in the car, I was reminded once again of all those trips on vacation, to work, to church and to the store.  Seldom have we gone out without one of the boys or both requesting a story from the Bible.  As a matter of fact, I have now pretty much covered all the children's stories in the Bible from beginning to end three times.

I have been so blessed because as a result of this, I have been able to lead both of my boys into a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Both times it came as a result of the story about Christ's sacrificial death at Calvary.  The really neat thing about it was that neither time did I approach either of the boys about accepting Jesus into his heart.  Both times (about a year apart) the older one and then the younger one said, "Daddy, I want Jesus to come into my heart."  I was then able to lead them in the prayer of repentance.  How neat was that!

My older son really understood the concept that I had explained to him very well.  A couple of months after he made that decision, he came to me all excited and said, "Dad, guess what!  You will never have to spank me again."  I was a little puzzled about where this came from and asked him why.  His reply was priceless.  "Because Jesus took all my punishment upon himself.  So now you don't need to spank me anymore."


3 comments:

Our Family Story said...

Wow. The last line was really sweet and smart. Hahaha! Good job on raising your sons to be God-fearing!

JLaine said...

smart child!.. but it's nice how you made your trips in the car as bonding moments.. we do that too, and it was in the car where our kids learned to pray, because because before we go anywhere they are the ones we 'assign' to pray for protection during our trips.

enzo said...

Life is beautiful and the family you have is as beautiful as life. Praise God for such wonderful kids you got.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...