Friday, January 13, 2012

2011

      2011 was a difficult year, but we saw and experienced God's amazing grace and provision. It was in the spring of 2011 when  someone broke into our home;  they took my new lap-top that was given to me the Christmas before as well as our digital camera and our one month old video camera. Two weeks later,  they came back and took our 42 inch flat screen TV. I was not bothered by what we had lost, but  I was bothered by the feeling of being violated. I knew in my heart that the people who broke into our place was capable of doing more than just stealing things from people. This  experience woke up some unwanted memories from the past, and I started to feel fear, anxiety and nervousness that was associated with my past experience. I grew up in a Christian home but was surrounded with a chaotic environment where killing, massacres and shootings were a normal thing. Seeing people carrying guns every day became a normal sight. Although I felt secure in my own home, I did not feel safe with strangers even if  I knew they were relatives. I grew up always on guard and not trusting  anyone. When I came to the United States, I started to loosen up a little bit until the year of 2011. It was dawn  when I heard a noise, a noise that I haven't heard for a long, long time. It woke me up, and I knew it was a gun shot. The shots sounded so close to our place. I got up to check where the shots had come from when I felt my husband's arm around me, and he told me to go back to sleep. I did. The next  day we learned that there were two dead men found in the street six houses from our home. Crime is everywhere, but that doesn't mean I wanted to stay in this area forever. I hope that this year is a better year. Although 2011 was a challenging year for me and for my family, we have experienced God's awesome  greatness and faithfulness in our lives. I know that my husband had struggled to make ends meet, but he did it with a lot of prayers and faith in God. God did not disappoint him. Hubby came out victorious and and overcame 2011 with a blast.

1 comment:

NovaS said...

i'm so sorry for what happened... you are right...those are just material items that you can easily replace but life is precious...i do hope that this new year will bring you more luck in your family...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...