Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Identity Protection

     Not too long ago the importance of protecting my identity and acquiring a periodic credit report was impressed upon me when someone tried to use my bank card number in a purchase all the way across the United States.  Although I have no firm evidence to pin anything on a given individual, I do have strong suspicions about who perpetrated this deed.  The important thing is that the attempt failed due to the alertness of an employee at my credit union.  This particular employee noticed a discrepancy in transactions where one took place on the East coast within hours of a second taking place in Colorado.  Thanks to the vigilance of this employee, that transaction was denied.  I was notified by my credit union and then I changed all my account information, including acquiring a new card.

     Since that event took place, I have come to understand the importance of being proactive when protecting my identity and financial affairs.   A simple solution to this problem is to take advantage of the availability of free credit score checks from time to time.  This is a simple means of alerting myself to any intrusions into my financial life.  Taking a few minutes now can save tremendous amounts of time, vast financial resources and a lot of emotional stress by protecting oneself from theft, either financial or identity.  My family's financial security is worth the effort to protect it completely.

   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...